Is CVTC right for me?
Carmel Valley Tennis Camp is a smoke, alcohol and illegal drug free environment
Basic Qualifications for all counselors:
- US Social Security number
- US College level tennis player or equivalent
- Desire and ability to work with children and live in a close-knit environment
- Ability and willingness to accept direction from supervisors
- Good character, team player, integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, common sense, loyalty, honesty, humor, patience, judgment, and self-control
- Willingness to uphold and support the rules and culture of Carmel Valley Tennis Camp
Available positions and qualifications
- All positions qualify as a Paid internship for students who need it to obtain a CPT, OPT, or college credit
- Counselor - must be at least 18 and have completed one year of university
- June 8 - July 14 Salary $1,750 plus room and board
- July 12 - August 25 Salary $2,100 plus room and board
- Senior Counselor - (counselor job plus management responsibilities) must be at least 20, have had paid work experience and completed at least three years of university
- June 6 - August 25 Salary $4,500 plus room and board
Available hourly positions (no room and board)
- Lifeguard - $12/hour
- June 11 - August 24; M-F 1-6pm
- Saturdays June 23, July 7, 21, August 4 1-6pm
- Lifeguard certification required
- Dishwasher - $12/hour
- June 10 - August 24; M-F
- Morning shift
- Afternoon/evening shift
- Saturday and Sunday shifts available
General Responsibilities for all counselors
- Teach 3 hours of group lessons (four to six campers in a group) M-F
- Caretaking children in a room group: living in a room with 7 campers
- Supervising match play 3 hours M-F
- Counselors assist in the planning, supervision, and running of the daytime offcourt, evening, and weekend activities
- Offcourt activity areas include: ropes course, archery, infirmary (assist camp nurse), art house, pro shop, centre court, conditioning, games, dorm duty
Time Off and CVTC description
- One hour off during each day and 1 day each week
- Two evenings off from 7:30PM-11:00PM each week
- Counselors are encouraged to play tennis and work out in their time off
- The camp provides a washer, dryer and detergent for doing your own laundry
CVTC has an excellent tennis program for beginning through tournament players where all children come to improve their tennis. We believe CVTC is the best, most well balanced, tennis camp in the country for children age 10 - 18. What makes this a very special place for the campers is the interaction with the counselors and the tremendous variety of other activities that they can pursue when they are not on the courts: ping pong, bumper pool, fooz ball, swimming pool, hot tub, arts and crafts, basketball, sand volleyball, ropes course, hiking trails, archery, conditioning, lawn games, board games, cards, and different all camp evening and weekend activities.
Being a camp counselor is an incredibly rewarding experience, and it is also hard work because of the time commitment and the responsibility for the emotional and physical safety and care of children. You are expected to be an outstanding role model for children. It is often said by individuals in the camp business that “being a camp counselor is the hardest job you'll ever love.” We have high expectations for our staff. We believe that CVTC is a great organization and a great place to work; we are interested in young people who want to excel. To have the opportunity to have a significant positive impact on young people is an invaluable experience, and one that will serve you well regardless of what field you choose to pursue.
CVTC is in a remote location, twenty five minutes by car from Carmel Valley Village (population 5,000), and 45 minutes to the gorgeous Pacific Ocean and the beautiful seaside resorts of Carmel and Monterey. The camp is about 2 1/2 hours by car south of San Francisco, and 5 hours north of Los Angeles. On days off, counselors often visit Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Row, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Point Lobos, Del Monte Center (Monterey's Mall), and other sightseeing spots. If they'd like to, Counselors are welcome to bring their own cars to camp.
- CVTC has a Staff House with an outdoor kitchen with microwave and refrigerator; an exercise area with spin bike, treadmill, weights, punching bag, TRX; and a Staff lounge with wi-fi internet, satellite tv, stringing machine, staff phone line, that are available during time off.
- Some cell phones work at camp in certain places, but they cannot be used by counselors during work hours.
- Counselors sleep in a room (on a bunk bed) with 7 campers or in the Staff House and share responsibility for the care and supervision of 8-10 campers in the dorm.
- Counselors help supervise campers in daytime, evening and weekend activities; when a counselor is not involved with tennis, he/she will be assigned different duties involving the campers during the day, evening and weekend activities.