Working at Carmel Valley Tennis Camp
CVTC has an excellent tennis program where children come to improve their tennis. We believe CVTC is the best, most well balanced, tennis camp in the country for children age 10 - 18. What makes this a very special place for the campers is the interaction with the counselors and the tremendous variety of other activities that they can pursue when they are not on the courts: ping pong, bumper pool, fooz ball, swimming pool, hot tub, arts and crafts, basketball, sand volleyball, ropes course, hiking trails, archery, conditioning, lawn games, board games, cards, and different all camp evening and weekend activities.
Being a camp counselor is an incredibly rewarding experience, and it is also hard work because of the time commitment and the responsibility for the emotional and physical safety and care of children. You are expected to be an outstanding caregiver and role model for children. It is often said by individuals in the camp business that “being a camp counselor is the hardest job you'll ever love.” We have high expectations for our staff. We believe that CVTC is a great organization and a great place to work; we are interested in young people who want to excel. To have the opportunity to have a significant positive impact on young people is an invaluable experience, and one that will serve you well regardless of what field you choose to pursue.
CVTC is in a remote location, twenty five minutes by car from Carmel Valley Village (population 5,000), and 45 minutes to the gorgeous Pacific Ocean and the beautiful seaside resorts of Carmel and Monterey. The camp is about 2 1/2 hours by car south of San Francisco, and 5 hours north of Los Angeles. On days off, counselors often visit Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf, Cannery Rox, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Point Lobos, Del Monte Center (Monterey's Mall), and other sightseeing spots. If they'd like to, Counselors are welcome to bring their own cars to camp.
Carmel Valley Tennis Camp operates for 11 weeks each summer
- Four 2 week sessions and three 1 week sessions
- 5 day training (At the beginning of the summer)
- Each session has 52 campers aged 10-18 and a staff of 12-14 counselors (American and International) and 3 kitchen/maintenance personnel
- CVTC has a Staff House with an outdoor kitchen and a computer, limited e-mail access (satellite internet), microwave, refrigerator, DVD player, satellite tv, stringing machine, staff phone line, limited exercise equipment, weights, etc. and is available during time off.
- Some cell phones work at camp in certain places, but they cannot be used by counselors during work hours.
- Counselors sleep in a room (on a bunk bed) with 7 campers and share responsibility for the care and supervision of 8-10 campers in the dorm.
- Counselors help supervise campers in daytime, evening and weekend activities; when a counselor is not involved with tennis, he/she will be assigned different duties involving the campers during the day, evening and weekend activities.
- Carmel Valley Tennis Camp is a smoke, alcohol and illegal drug free environment.