CVTC Job Description at Carmel Valley Tennis Camp
CVTC has an excellent tennis program where children come to improve their tennis. We believe CVTC is the best, most well balanced, tennis camp in the country for children age 10 - 17. What makes this a very special place for the campers is the interaction with the counselors and the tremendous variety of other activities that they can pursue when they are not on the courts: ping pong, bumper pool, fooz ball, swimming pool, hot tub, arts and crafts, basketball, sand volleyball, ropes course, hiking trails, archery, conditioning, lawn games, board games, cards, and different all camp evening and weekend activities.
Being a camp counselor is an incredibly rewarding experience, and it is also hard work because of the time commitment and the responsibility for the emotional and physical safety and care of children. You are expected to be an outstanding caregiver and role model for children. It is often said by individuals in the camp business that “being a camp counselor is the hardest job you'll ever love.” We have high expectations for our staff. We believe that CVTC is a great organization and a great place to work; we are interested in young people who want to excel. To have the opportunity to have a significant positive impact on young people is an invaluable experience, and one that will serve you well regardless of what field you choose to pursue.
CVTC is in a remote location, twenty five minutes by car from Carmel Valley Village (population 5,000), and 45 minutes to the gorgeous Pacific Ocean and the beautiful seaside resorts of Carmel and Monterey. There is a public bus service located in the Village. The camp is about 2 1/2 hours by car south of San Francisco, and 5 hours north of Los Angeles.
Carmel Valley Tennis Camp operates for 11 weeks each summer
- Four 2 week sessions and three 1 week sessions
- 5 day training (At the beginning of the summer)
- Each session has 51 campers aged 10-17 and a staff of 12 counselors and 3 kitchen/maintenance personnel.
- CVTC has a Staff House with an outdoor kitchen and a computer, limited e-mail access (satellite internet), microwave, refrigerator, DVD player, satellite tv, stringing machine, staff phone line, etc. and is available during time off.
- Some cell phones work at camp in certain places, but they cannot be used by counselors during work hours.
- Counselors sleep in a room (on a bunk bed) with 7 campers and share responsibility for the care and supervision of 8-10 campers in the dorm.
- Counselors help supervise campers in daytime, evening and weekend activities; when a counselor is not involved with tennis, he/she will be assigned different duties involving the campers during the day, evening and weekend activities.
- Carmel Valley Tennis Camp is a smoke, alcohol and illegal drug free environment.
Basic Staff Qualifications:
- are 18 years or older
- Desire and ability to work with children and live in a close-knit environment
- Ability to relate to and work with one’s peer group
- Ability and willingness to accept guidance, direction and supervision from peers and supervisors
- Counselors must have necessary tennis skills to effectively teach children aged 10-17. Generally, all counselors are playing college tennis.
- Good character, team player, integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, common sense, loyalty, honesty, humor, patience, judgment, and self-control
- Good references supporting your character and past employment
- Willingness to uphold and support the rules and traditions of Carmel Valley Tennis Camp
Counselor Job Description
- are 18 years or older and have completed at least one year of college
- Teach 3 hours of group lessons (five to six campers in a group) M-F
- Coach a team (eight to nine campers of varying ability) in match play format 3 to 3.5 hours M-F
- Counselors assist in the planning, supervision, and running of the daytime, evening, and weekend activities.
- Offcourt activity areas include:
- ropes course
- swimming pool and hot tub
- infirmary (assist camp nurse)
- art house
- pro shop
- centre court
- dorm duty
- One hour off during each day and 1 day each week
- Two evenings off from 7:00PM-11:00PM each week
- Counselors are encouraged to play tennis in their time off
- The camp provides a washer, dryer and detergent for doing your own laundry
Starting pay for 1st year counselors is a minimum of $300.00 per week plus room & board and is adjusted up depending upon age, tennis playing and teaching experience. * Staff hired through an agency, such as Camp America, are paid a stipend recommended by the agency.
Kitchen Staff Job Description
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- starting pay is California minimum wage.
- Responsible for
- food and meal prep
- serving meals buffet style
- dishwashing and clean up
- maintaining the standards of the Health Dept. and the highest degree of cleanliness and food safety.
- unloading and storage of food and canned goods (you must be able to lift and handle items weighing up to 40 pounds)
- dining room and patio prep and cleaning (you need to be able to move tables and chairs)
- breaking down boxes and cartons
- emptying and relining trash cans
- The facility was built in 1999 and the commercial kitchen is very nice
- Training will be done by the Kitchen Manager
- Responsible to the Kitchen Manager
- Must be a good role model for children and abide by the rules of camp
- Carmel Valley Tennis Camp is a smoke, alcohol and illegal drug free environment